Leading From A Healthy Soul
The effects of an unhealthy soul are most obvious in our behaviors.
Behavior: Our behaviors are coping mechanisms that we have learned that are often unconscious and harmful.
Emotions: Are below the surface, less obvious but fuel our behaviors.
- Instead of “why,” start with “what.”
- “What was I feeling before I acted?”
- Sometimes the emotion is triggered by a present event, sometimes it is triggered by a past event.
Belief: Lies or truth fuel our emotions that fuel our behaviors.
- “What lie am I believing about myself when I felt that way?”
What do we do?
- Identify the lie that we believe and replace it with the Gospel truth.
a. Recognize the lies we believe.
“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth…” (John 16:13)
b. Repent for believing the lie.
“Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy.” (Proverbs 28:13)
c. Receive and believe God’s truth.
“and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:32)
d. Renew your mind daily with God’s truth.
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2)
2. Be honest with your behaviors and emotions.
3. Tell your story: be “known” to someone who will love and accept you just as you are.
“Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed” (James 5:16)
What do we do for others?
1. Create a safe place for people to tell their stories.
2. Ask people what they are feeling and what lies they are believing.
3. Help them to replace the lies that they believe with God’s truth.
- A healthy soul comes as we are proactive in processing with others.
- Cultivate safe environments of trust for transparency in group.
- The health in our soul improves as we help others.
- What stood out to you from the teaching?
- How do you think you can apply this to your leadership?
- What are some of the things that create a safe environment for people to share?
- Who can you help lead to a place of health in their soul?